Sunday, June 14, 2015

Semantics

 Growing up I was hurt by my baptist church because they added extra rules to the Bible. I said I would never attend a baptist church again. After I was married I went to a non-denominational church that was a church plant of a Baptist church, but it was not baptist. After moving to Tennessee, we went to a church that was not baptist. now we attend a church plant that is non- denominational.

I love our current church and the clear vision of the leadership and a mission we work toward as a church. We are free to execute the great commission as we see fit with the support of our church ( and within the boundaries of the Bible). The people are still learning to know each other, but there are friendships being born and we are growing together in the Word.

As I have grown older I have attended several groups that are open to people from all churches like Bible Study Fellowship, MOPS and our home school CO-OP. It has been a great experience for me to see how people from all churches are part of The Church and are in God's Family which is my family. I have been challenged by these women and saddened when I hear stories of hurt from other denominations that add rules to the Bible or flat out don't follow the Bible, but mostly I am encouraged that we are working together even within our different denominations or non- denominations to be the wonderful family we were created to be.

As I have grown older I have realized that not all Baptists churches are unhealthy and there are many unhealthy churches all over, but there are many more healthy churches that outweigh the bad. Churches that do not put down their other brothers and sisters in Christ and use the Bible as their foundation with no other rules.

Three months ago my pastor was asked to pray with the elders of another church that was going through change. He prayed with them and eventually they asked if our church would consider marrying their church. This is done with the best of intentions and both church congregations have been in prayer to see if this should happen. All of the details are precious and good. There has been great beauty in seeing our church unite in spirit and mission with another church as we are suppose to. The leadership has gone over the details and replayed scenarios on how this should take place if it were to happen. We, as two congregations, have been asking questions and and receiving truthful answers.

 This marriage of churches is happening and we will still be a non- denominational church that is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention... Technically not a Baptist church and it will be my Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment